All snowmobiles operated in Iowa on ice or on a designated trail must have a current registration decal displayed on the machine. Registration is not required for ORVs being used for agricultural purposes.
Machines which belong to nonresident riders must display a nonresident user permit in order to be legally operated.
Documentation necessary to register and title a snowmobile, ATV, ORM, OMV, ORV, or UTV:
- Application form filled out and signed by buyer
- New –Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO or MCO)
- Used- Bill of Sale - signed by seller and notarized and
- If not previously registered or titled: Affidavit for Unregistered vehicle signed by seller and notarized and inspected by peace officer and signed
- Title – if vessel was previously titled - signed by seller
Snowmobile Reference Guide
Iowa Department of Natural Resources